The Guide to the Guardianship and Administration Act 2019 (Vic) is intended to help you understand the changes to the law relating to guardianship and administration, which occurred on 1 March 2020.
The Guide explains the operation of the Act and incorporates relevant principles and discussion, including coverage of:
- The principles that VCAT members and decision-makers must consider in their roles, including both general principles and decision-making principles
- The Act’s new approach to capacity that harmonises with capacity definitions in similar Victorian legislation
- Notice requirements for hearing and the new tests for granting orders
- The new supportive guardians and supportive administrators regime
- The new compensation process and offences by decision-makers
Fact sheet: Guardianship and Administration Act (Vic)This factsheet provides an overview of the key differences between the 1986 and 2019 Guardianship and Administration Acts. The 2019 Act commenced on 1 March 2020 and repealed the 1986 Act. Save for transitional situations, all guardianship and administration matters should be conducted according to the 2019 Act.