Publication Date: 18 May 2021
The Criminal Charge Book has been updated in response to recent cases regarding matters including importation, puttage and summing up.
Updated chapters include:
- Decide solely on the evidence - Incorporating Mathieson v The Queen regarding evidence, puttage and the defence case.
- Directions under Jury Directions Act 2015 - Incorporating Chaarani v The Queen, Pyliotis v The Queen and DPP v Dyke.
- Judge’s summing up on issues and evidence - Incorporating R v Abdirahman-Khalif, Star v The Queen, Gregg v The Queen and Pyliotis v The Queen.
- Alternative verdicts - Incorporating Chaarani v The Queen on the availability of State offences as an alternative to a Commonwealth offence.
- Charge: statutory murder - Providing extra guidance on taking the verdict when both statutory and common law murder are charged.
- Importing/exporting border controlled drugs and plants - Incorporating Zhao v DPP on the effect of full substitution of border controlled drug.